Position: Repairs Specialist
Reports to: Construction Manager
Job Classification: Non-exempt, part-time hourly
Supervisory Responsibilities for: Repair volunteers
Description: This position is responsible for assessing and conducting interior and exterior repairs through the Home Preservation Program of Lawrence Habitat for Humanity (LHfH). The Repairs Specialist is responsible for conducting repair projects, working with volunteers, homeowners, and contractors in accordance with Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) and LHfH specifications and quality requirements. They ensure that a safe construction environment is maintained in accordance with local and state regulations.
Schedule: Up to 25 hours per week. Actual hours are dependent on weather and other conditions.
Salary: $20 an hour
- Must have a strong background in residential home repair.
- Must be able to handle a variety of repair projects and have an absolute commitment to job safety.
- Must be lead paint certified or, if not, willing to obtain certification. (LHfH will sponsor training, if needed.)
- Must be able to work effectively as a team member with staff/volunteers and have excellent people skills in order to work with people of all ages, races, faiths, backgrounds, and skill levels.
- Must be goal-driven, results-oriented, quality-minded, and committed to the organization’s goal of repairing homes to ensure everyone has a decent place to live.
- Must be flexible, able to operate independently, and receptive to feedback.
- Must demonstrate strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Conduct home assessments along with the Aging in Place coordinator, observing, measuring, and noting repairs that could help the homeowner remain in their home.
- Write up scope of work, clearly stating the work LHfH will complete and the work they will exclude.
- Gather materials needed for each project before the project begins.
- Lead projects, working with Habitat volunteers, ensuring that high quality standards are achieved.
- Implement good safety practices, including lead paint, ladder, and other construction site safety. Must pass Competent Person Certification after beginning, LHfH will sponsor training.
- Provide leadership to sub-contractors so that work is performed in a timely, professional manner.
2. Volunteers and Senior Homeowners
- Work with homeowners during home assessment, asking questions and gathering information to help assess need.
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to prepare for volunteer workers at designated work site.
- Ensure accurate and timely communication with homeowner and volunteers regarding the project.
- Work well with a variety of volunteers, creating a positive and encouraging work atmosphere.
- Ensure that safety guidelines are followed and adequate training is provided to the volunteers. Enforce safety policy and safety standards on site.
- Work closely with the Aging in Place coordinator and the volunteer coordinator, coordinating weekly and monthly schedules as well as long-term planning for volunteer needs.
- Meet all long and short-term goals established by the organization’s strategic plan.
3. Required Skills / Experience / Physical Requirements
- Dedication to and ability to articulate the mission and core values of Lawrence Habitat for Humanity.
- Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Ability to work on ladders and heights up to two stories.
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions. Sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer.
- Knowledge and understanding of local building codes.
- Must pass Criminal Background Check and Sexual Offender Check.
To Apply: send cover letter and resume to:
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Erika Zimmerman, Executive Director Lawrence Habitat for Humanity 720 Connecticut, Lawrence, KS 66044
- Deadline: Rolling deadline. We will take applications until position is filled.
- Questions: contact Erika Zimmerman: firstname.lastname@example.org – 913.369.7037