Cars for Homes
Do you have a car that is taking up space in your garage or in your driveway? A trailer you inherited but have never got around to using? An old boat in storage? These motor vehicles don’t have to be waste of space…they can help build more homes in your community and your donation is eligible for a tax deduction.
Cars for Homes FAQs:
1. What is Cars for Homes?
- Cars for Homes is Habitat’s national car donation program. The program is staffed by full-time Habitat employees who manage and monitor all activities of the program.
- Proceeds from Cars for Homes are donated to your local Habitat affiliate.
2. Who takes care of the cars that are donated?
- Habitat works with Advanced Remarketing Services, Inc., our national agent that processes all national car donations.
- ARS handles the title transfer, towing, and reporting of all vehicle donations.
- They accept vehicle donations at CarDonationWizard.com or by their call center, 1-877-277-4344.
3. How does the car donation process work?
- Step 1: Call ARS. They will give you instructions about how to process the vehicle’s title. Can’t find the title? There is assistance available for that, too.
- Step 2: Vehicle is assigned for pick up & sale.
- Step 3: Arrangements made to process the title.
- Step 4: Contact made to coordinate vehicle and key pick-up by a licensed and insured member of ARS, Habitat’s authorized agent.
- Step 5: Vehicle sold through a national network of venues on behalf of Habitat.
- Step 6: Once car has sold, you will receive a letter of acknowledgement thanking you for the support with information regarding the sale of your vehicle. This letter serves as receipt for tax deduction purposes (additional forms available if required by IRS.)
4. Why should you donate your vehicle to Cars for Homes?
- 100% of the net proceeds of your vehicle will be donated to your local Habitat for Humanity affiliate.
- Your donation is tax deductible.
- Junk cars will be recycled, helping save energy and natural resources.
Want to get started or learn more about the donation process? Click here!