» Cars for Homes: Frequently Asked Questions
Cars for Homes: Frequently Asked Questions
1. What can I donate?
- The Cars for Homes gratefully accepts almost all vehicles, including: cars, trucks, RVs, motorcycles, trailers, and snow mobiles. In some cases, we accept boats and planes, but they may require a call to ensure they meet the minimum requirements.
2. What if my vehicle isn’t running?
- Your vehicle does not have to be running – it does, however, need to be whole and have four inflated tires so it can be towed by our towing operators.
- You will be asked to explain the vehicle’s current condition. In rare cases, we are unable to accept certain vehicles in the case that removal and processing fees exceed the auction value of the vehicle.
3. How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?
- All donations are processed as quickly as possible. Typically, we are able to coordinate donation pick up within 2-3 days after the title is received at our processing center in Rhode Island. In the event that car donations need to be done more quickly, special accommodations can be negotiated.
4. What documents do I need to donate my vehicle?
- Most states require that you have a clear title to the vehicle; some states also require a notarized signature to complete a donation. If you can not locate or lost the certificate of title, we can help you obtain the proper documentation. The donation wizard (the Cars for Homes donation form) will tell you what is required in Kansas.
5. What if the vehicle is not registered in my name?
- No problem – the vehicle does not have to be registered in your name. The name on the title of a vehicle and the registration documents may often differ. For more information, you can contact the Cars for Homes processing center at 1-877-277-4344.
6. How much of the money generated from my donated vehicle goes to Habitat?
- The Cars for Homes program strives to be the most efficient vehicle donation program in the country. By doing so, we are able to on a monthly basis receive 80% of the sales revenues. We pay less than 20% of the selling towing, auction and processing fees.
- This, in comparison to other vehicle donation programs that pay for-profit programs up to 70% in fees.
7. What are the tax benefits of donating my vehicle?
- In general, donors who itemize their taxes may deduct the fair market value of any donated car up to $499. If your vehicle sells for more than $500, you may deduct the full selling price. You will receive the appropriate receipt from Habitat for Humanity for your car donation. Get more tax information by clicking here.
8. Do I need to be concerned with liability on my vehicle after it is picked up?
- By signing the title directly to Advanced Remarketing Services (ARN), our authorized vehicle donation agent, you are legally transferring ownership of your vehicle. Once your title is received and the vehicle is picked up, you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.