Applicants Wanted: Executive Director of Lawrence Habitat
July 2, 2015 by
Community, Habitat for Humanity, Habitat Happenings, Staff
Lawrence Habitat for Humanity is currently accepting applications for the position of Executive Director. Position description and application instructions below:
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – Position Description
The Executive Director is responsible for providing leadership to and management of Lawrence Habitat for Humanity, which encompasses an affiliate office and ReStore. The Executive Director is the face of the organization. The Executive Director works in partnership with the Board of Directors to develop the organization’s policies and procedures. The Executive Director is responsible for implementing and evaluating the work of Lawrence Habitat within the following functional areas:
- Vision Implementation & Long-range Planning
- General Administration, Staff Oversight and Board & Committee Engagement
The Executive Director should be fully committed to the mission of Lawrence Habitat for Humanity (LHfH) as set forth in the affiliate covenant.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. 5 years related administrative experience required.
- Proven working knowledge of organizational finances required.
- 2-5 years of proven leadership, including responsibility for managing people, budgets and plans.
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively with a variety of different parties (e.g. Board of Directors, volunteers, Habitat families, donors, governmental and community organizations, staff, etc.).
- Experience working with a Board of Directors preferred.
VISION IMPLEMENTATION AND LONG-RANGE PLANNING
The Executive Director will work in conjunction with the Board of Directors to create a strategic plan that includes long- and short-term goals to help advance the mission and vision of Lawrence Habitat. Responsibilities include:
- Working with the Board, staff, volunteers and other people to achieve the organization’s goals, attain the vision and uphold the mission.
- Providing support to Board-designated committees. It is imperative for the organization for this effort to be a successful one in order to continue to build capacity.
- Assisting in the recruitment, development and training of Board and committee members.
- Providing organizational development to further enhance the knowledge and effectiveness of Habitat staff, board members, and committee members through training and shared information
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION, STAFF OVERSIGHT AND BOARD & COMMITTEE ENGAGEMENT
The Executive Director oversees the performance of all Lawrence Habitat staff, including Construction Manager, Community Outreach Coordinator, ReStore Manager, Bookkeeper, Director of Resource Development and any other positions that may be created during their tenure. Other duties in this area include:
- Working with the Bookkeeper, Treasurer and Finance Committee to ensure that generally accepted accounting practices are always followed, checks and balances are in place for all accounting procedures and accurate financial updates are provided to the Board of Directors on a timely basis.
- Working with the Finance Committee to prepare the annual budget, monthly financial documents and regularly monitor finances and cash flow to ensure compliance with the approved budget.
- Working with the Director of Resource Development to create a resource development plan to be able to provide the funds needed to accomplish Lawrence Habitat’s mission, including events, grant-writing, donation procurement, donor recruitment, et.
- Working with the Construction Manager and the Construction Committee to develop an annual construction plan in coordination with the long-range plan developed by the Board of Directors, including expanding the construction capacity, ensuring homes are completed on schedule and within budget and are cost-effective and energy-efficient.
- Being fully responsible for seeing that volunteers are utilized to accomplish the mission of the affiliate.
- Working with the Community Outreach Coordinator to ensure that press releases are prepared and submitted as needed, mailings are sent in a timely manner and a newsletter is prepared regularly. The Executive Director acts as the Board’s representative for communicating with the media, donors, volunteers and the general public.
- Working with the ReStore Manager and the ReStore Committee to create and implement goals for the ReStore’s mission of supporting the affiliate’s activities.
- Working with and supporting committees, including Family Selection, Faith Engagement, Women Build, Resource Development, ReStore and Family Support.
- Annually prepare performance evaluations for each staff member and the annual affiliate report for the Board, donors and the community.
- Work and interface with Habitat International to ensure affiliate is complying with policies and procedures.
The Executive Director position is a full-time, 40-hour a week or more salaried job. There are predetermined office hours, along with meetings and events that will require time on weekends and evenings.
The President of the Board of Directors will immediately supervise the Executive Director.
Lawrence Habitat for Humanity is dedicated to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, veteran status or pregnancy.
Please sent a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com by
5 p.m. on Friday, July 17, 2015.
Electronic applications only, please.
If you have any questions, please call the Lawrence Habitat office at (785) 832-0777.